Not too sure what is going on with me here LOL, it must be the Valentine’s fever from last month. Still talking about love, I have been wondering what it would be like to love God the same way that we love our significant others, and how that would play out in real life.
First and foremost, let me say, God’s love is not a love in a romantic sense, it is more like a Fatherly love. Nevertheless, God is usually far more in love with us than our partners are, and he is more faithful to us. To people who are currently single, some of them report to wanting to focus on building a relationship with God, and those who are already married sometimes talk of how they have made their significant others an idol in their lives.
So here, let me take a jab at what personalizing a relationship with God will look like.
- Gifts: We often buy gifts for the people we like. Whether it is Valentines, Christmas, or even on a regular day, we often buy them gifts. Can you give God a gift? Yes, you can. I am sure that it is probably hard to think of how you can give God a gift, I mean, God has everything. In addition, doing God’s work, paying your tithe, helping the church etc. are not exactly gifts, because we are called to do those things, and we ought to be doing them. So, what gift can you get God? You can get God a living sacrifice. God no longer accepts dead sacrifices. In the olden days, people would offer up animals for the atonement of sin. However, now, God wants living people, he wants living people dedicated to him. He wants living breathing people who he can use for his service, people that he can use to save others. You can give God a gift, by dedicating yourself to him as a living sacrifice, and maybe dedicating your children to him too if they express interest in the path.
- Butterflies: We often get butterflies when we see the people that we like, and we feel a certain good way around them. From the contents of the bible, we can see that God also wants you to feel good when you are around him, he wants you to rejoice in him. He wants you to be happy when he is mentioned, because he has blessed us with many great things, and loves us to be filled with appreciation. Therefore, do not only smile when your crush walks in, smile when you hear God’s name mentioned, and be happy with him.
- Words of Affection: A lot of us tend to tell the people that we like how we feel about them. Sometimes, we even go beyond telling these people that we love them, we detail to them exactly how we feel. Can you do this with God? Yes, you can. You should always tell God that you love him. Whenever he blesses you with something, you should always talk of how grateful you are, and how you truly feel about God. God listens to us, and I am sure that he would be happy to hear about your feelings.
- Proving our love: Beyond words, we often need to prove our love for the people that we like. Proving our love might include helping them, doing things for them, and generally being a support system in their lives. With God, this might be hard because we often cannot reach all of his righteousness standards, although we definitely can meet many of them. However, God sees our attempts, and our struggles to impress him, and he appreciates them. Act of service such as helping the church, telling others about God, obeying the word, helping the poor etc. are ways to prove our love for God.
- Spending time together: We love to sit and chat with the people that we like. We especially like to catch them at a time when we can have a one-on-one discussion with them. God would definitely appreciate a conversation with you. By conversation, I do not mean a situation where you simply tell God the things you want him to do for you, then end the conversation. But an actual conversation where you speak to him about how in awe you are of his mercies, the things going in your life, ask him for advice etc. That is a real conversation, and you should be having these kinds of conversations with the Lord. You should also learn to spend time in God’s word.
- Going on a food date: A lot of people incorporate food into their dates. Whether it is grabbing coffee, or going on a dinner date at a fine dining restaurant. You can also do this with God. To feed God, you need to feed the poor. The bible says in Matthew 25: 35-40 “35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
If you feed the poor, you have fed the Lord. Better if you can sit with them and have a chat.
In what ways do you show your love for the Lord? Let’s discuss it in the comments section.